Most Frequently Asked Questions
- What payment options are available?
- For your convenience, the hospital accepts a variety of payment alternatives, including online quick pay, pay by phone,
Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover®, personal checks, money orders, and cash (at the cashiers office only).
Note: Please do not send cash through the mail. To protect you, cash will only be accepted in person at the cashier's office
and you will be given a receipt.
- Is it safe to make a payment online?
- It is our number one priority to ensure your information is safe. We use a secure connection that prevents anyone else from gaining access
to your information. We are validated PCI SSC certified and listed on the validated payment applications list on the PCI SSC Website.
We have gone through rigorous security protocols and testing. Whenever you are paying your account online, you are using a secure connection
which protects your information. Data you provide cannot be viewed. We do not share your information with anyone else.
Security is maintained by industry-standard SSL (secure socket layer) encryption and decryption technology. The SSL protocol is used to
ensure that your information is sent directly to us, and that only we can decode it. You can do your part to protect your identity
by ensuring you always log out of this system and close all browser windows – especially when using a public computer station.
- What access do you have to my credit card account?
- None. Your credit card is processed securely with SSL and PCI compliant encryption and immediately sent to the banking merchant. No card
information is maintained in the system after the transaction is processed. This insures full security of information both during and
after the transaction.
- Why didn't my insurance company pay?
- If you provided insurance information at the time of service then you should have received a letter or explanation of benefits from your
insurance carrier which outlines how your claim was processed and any patient responsibility. For any clarification on how your
insurance carrier has processed your claim, you should contact them directly for further clarification.
If your insurance information is incorrect, please feel free to call us:
- How can I provide updated insurance to the University of Colorado Health?
- Contact our Customer Service Department at:
- What is a deductible, co-pay and coinsurance?
A deductible is the amount you owe for health care services before your health insurance or plan begins to pay. Deductibles are
applied based off of service type and plan year. Not all services are subject to the deductible.
A co-pay is a fixed dollar amount that you pay for a covered health care service, usually when you get the service. The amount
can vary by the type of covered health care service.
A coinsurance is a shared cost of a covered health care service, calculated as a percent of the allowed amount for the service.
You pay coinsurance plus any deductibles you owe. Each health plan varies.
- Why am I getting a bill from my physician and the hospital?
- In addition to the hospital bill, you may receive bills from other medical providers who may have provided services to you. For instance,
you may receive bills from consulting physicians, radiologists, or other specialists. If you have received a bill from University Physicians,
Incorporated (UPI), please call Toll free (800) 298-8682 or Local (303) 493-7000.
- How can I better understand my bill?
- Healthcare charges can be complex and may include confusing clinical terminology. To simplify the information for you, we include
an easy-to-understand summary of charges by category on all bills and statements. We provide an easy to read
document on our website to help guide you through the bill. Please review the
sample statements on the Understanding Your Health Care Bill resource page.
- Does the University of Colorado Health offer financial assistance?
- The University of Colorado Health goes to great lengths to assist its patients, regardless of their financial circumstances. For more
information regarding Financial Assistance, please contact our Customer Service department: